Saturday, June 21, 2014

David Beckham Into the Unknown - Fascinating!

So I just finished watching the Showtime special David Beckham Into the Unknown. I must admit I was thoroughly entertained.  In it, Beckham and friends bike, hike and boat through the Amazon Rainforest of Brazil.

Trials, tribulations, breakdowns and soul searching.  Being the traveler that I am, I loved it.  I have been on searching trips to Panama, Peru, the Amazon, England and France the last few years so I get the Beckham "get out and do it" attitude.

Read about my adventures at TexanTreks

I'll shoot straight.  I have never been a huge fan of David Beckham.  I always respected his game.  Thought his set pieces were magic, but never took to him even when he came to the States to play for the LA Galaxy.

Being the larger than life superstar that David Beckham is, we never really got to see the real Beckham.  Into the Unknown gives us that glimpse and I have to admit a newfound respect for the man.  It was supremely interesting to see his experiences in the Amazon and note just he similar his thoughts and experiences were to my very own.  Maybe we are not s mic different.  Who knows, in another life we would have probably been good buddies.

My favorite part of the show was when the party hiked on foot through the jungle and had to camp for the night.  And I mean it was a primitive camp!  Clear a small area.  Hang some hammocks and hope for the best.  Weird noises.  Build a fire.  An intimate conversation with the local guide.  A poisonous snake slithering through camp. Real stuff.

The interactions with the Yanomami tribe was also fascinating.  I loved Beckham's interaction with the Yanomami man painted all black. Especially when the man asked what Beckham did for his profession and David tried to explain the game of soccer to him.  Great stuff!

So in the end I formed a newfound respect for David Beckham.  He is a man not too much different than myself in truth.

No comments: